Saturday, October 25, 2014

Limits [to my patience]

This past week I've had real trouble with this course. Last lecture, we went more in-depth with proofs, and I won't lie, it is getting quite complicated.  Just when I felt confident about my 'proving' abilities, we were introduced to every CSC165 student's worst nightmare: proofs about limits.  

Up until yesterday, I was at loss.  Why is everything in Greek alphabets?  How does that compare to previously learnt material regarding calculus limits?  These and more questions overwhelmed my consciousness.
I finally gathered up the courage to go to the Help Centre yesterday.  I am definitely glad I did because assignment 2 has just been posted and most of the problems involve the concept.

For a problem of the sort,





I found that it is easiest to try and plot a graph.


(Courtesy of Professor Zhang)

Among the hardest things I found with limits is devising a plan to find the most appropriate δ that goes in terms of ε.  In other words, the goal is to have every possible δ ≤ ε.  As with everything else in this course, once the concept is clear, the actual proof becomes a little easier to fill out.

No comments:

Post a Comment