Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Proofs

During our lecture on Tuesday, we were introduced to 'proofs': the mechanism used by mathematicians and computer scientists to accept or reject claims about the world.  It seemed a little arbitrary to myself as I had not been exposed to the concept before.  But at the same time, I was excited to challenge myself by learning something new.

Proving something true is not an easy task, especially when you are not aware of the reason of the validity  The first step towards proving  or disproving something should be to understand why it is true (or not); convincing yourself before anyone else is a vital step.  This is why I set out to make arguments from common beliefs that I could prove/disprove as this course progresses.

For now, here is my humble list:
  1. If the users rated the book five stars, then they liked it
  2. If the clouds are dark, it will rain.
  3. Someone who doesn't eat meat can survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment